Tuesday, March 29, 2011

BTW: American Pickers

"Doors of opportunity don't open, they unlock; it is up to you to turn the knob."



~ Lily Taylor

While I was in D.C. for the classes with Stephanie Lee, I had time to sit in my hotel room by myself and just flip the channels (something that I rarely have the chance to do at home). I stumbled on the History Channel and American Pickers. I had heard of this show before, but never really seen it.
 
Now I am hooked.

{Mike and Frank with a find from American Pickers, on the History Channel, Mondays at 9/8c}
I have never been one to go a-flea-ing (mostly because I don't have the opportunity and everyone I know would think I was weird), but I know that some of you have, and I am fascinated by it. I love the idea that you can find treasure anywhere and that things that others might take for granted or not see the value of are priceless to others. That is how I sort of how I got my start doing what I do: I see the potential in things that others might overlook and with a little spit and polish I can turn them into treasures that others are willing to pay top dollar for. Most of my earliest designs featured found objects like skeleton keys or hardware store treasures like hex nuts and washers, and I still come back to those tried and true treasures.

Antique Archeology (isn't that the coolest name?) is the brick and mortar storefront for Mike and his team of talented treasure hunters. The show American Pickers follows the exploits of Mike and his partner Frank as they drive the backroads of America scouring junkyards and attics alike in the search for anything they can 'pick' that might bring in money when they flip it around and sell it. They sell things to collectors and interior designers or anyone looking for the cool old stuff that they have found.
I have only watched a few episodes, but I can already tell that I am going to be adding this to my queue so that I can follow along in my studio late at night to see what Mike, Frank and their quirky assistant Danielle find buried in plain sight.

I love that they have this determination to find something, anything, that might be out of the ordinary. They have a tenacity that is thrilling to watch. They are not afraid to get dirty and they always shake hands in the most genuine way. They have a profound desire to not only recycle these treasures, but to preserve the history behind them. And to pass them along to people they know will treasure them.

So I compiled a little list of some lessons that I have learned from American Pickers:
  • Treasure can be found where you least expect it.
  • Persistence pays off.
  • Work together and play to your strengths.
  • Fair deals are the best deals.
  • Sometimes the best finds are right under the surface.
  • Love all the styles, don't get pigeon-holed into one thing.
  • Be optimistic and be yourself.
  • Pay attention to the amazing things around you.
  • Go with your gut.
  • Know when to be aggressive to get what you want and when to back off.
  • Above all remember to be kind, you never know when you might get the chance to come back this way again.
  • Always ask for a reference. Each person's connections can lead you to that one golden opportunity.
Speaking of seeking treasure... would you like to see what I am working on? I am currently createing four necklaces that are interpreting poems written by local poets. This is for a show we are putting on in May called "Verse and Vision," and I have to have them done by the middle of April so that they can be photographed for the book. (Yikes! I am not even started!)

 
Like the American Pickers, I have been on a hunt for something special: vintage flower pins and earrings. I thought that I would want to have brightly colored flowers. I bought a few from a local resale vendor but the only ones I could afford were that big white one and some sweet little daisy earrings. But then I realized that I was sitting on a whole pile of old costume jewelry that has been gifted to me over the years and I don't know what to do with, so I started picking in my own stash. I decided that the best flowers for this piece were not the gaily colored petals but the ones in white with a little hint of blue.

So that is what I am working on and have been thinking of recently. I hope you will join in the fun of Bead Table Wednesday, started by the lovely and talented Miss Heather Powers (who is cavorting in the Caribbean on the Bead Cruise!).

What is the best item you have ever found while thrifting?
Are you the sort who is always on the hunt for treasures, or do you only keep that which is absolutely necessary?
What are you working on this week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment