Wednesday, February 9, 2011

, ,

Inspiration + Give

I am so excited to share an inspiration of mine. Lisa of Lilfishstudios is incredibly talented.  Everything that she creates celebrates her natural surroundings in the most beautiful way.  Lisa's appreciation for nature is evident in every bit of her work.  She uses natural and recycled materials whenever she can.

Lisa is such an inspiration to me.  Not long ago, she made a holiday dress for her daughter using an antique lace collar.  Lisa posted her project on her flickr page and blog.   I was stunned by the photography.  Early American portraits immediately came to mind.
Photo by Lisa Jordan

As soon as I saw the photos, I emailed Lisa and asked if I could sketch them.  She gave me the go-ahead and I made two drawings of her project.  As a thank you for the instant inspiration, I mailed prints of the sketches to Lisa.  The whole experience was a complete joy.

To celebrate the experience, I would like to hold a special give-away for the two antique lace drawings.  You can win both prints pictured below.  All you have to do is share your inspiration.

To win, answer these questions...
Has an artist or work of art inspired you to make a certain project?

Who or what was the inspiration?

If available, provide a link to the piece.  If a link or photo is not available, describe your project.

Please provide your email in the response. 

I asked Lisa to share her inspiration as an example of the response needed.   Lisa replied...

Margie Oomen of Resurrection Fern has a way of relating to nature that I admire. When I first saw her work I felt pulled in and curious about how she was using bits of lace and crochet to relate to what she saw in nature. I had never been much of a lace and crochet person but somehow seeing it intertwined with natural elements in her unique style made realize how beautiful it could be.

The piece I made was actually a piece for Margie herself. I made a felted wool brooch incorporating nature and lace, inspired by Margie, in my voice. I chose the colors based on what I thought she might like so it was so fun when she sent me photos right after she opened it. She matched the brooch perfectly that day! 


I will collect all the responses and draw one winner.  The winner will receive two prints.  One for themselves and perhaps the other for the person who inspired them.  It's up to you.  The winner will be announced on Thursday 2/17/11.

Good luck!  Can't wait to read your inspiration!

0 comments:

Post a Comment