Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas


It feels like Christmas to me when....


...my
husband
moves the
 furniture around
in the living room...
...and dusts and vacuums...
...the first snow falls softly outside...
...we put the tree up in the very same corner...
...the lighted angel with the star goes on the very top...
...the Santa collection goes up on the mantel...
...or sometimes the snowman collection goes there...
...I unearth the rustic felt stockings that I made for my family...
...they wait for me to put the silver beaded garland on the tree...
...watching the kids put each ornament on the tree...
...each ornament and decoration tells a story...
...even the handmade lightbulb Rudolph that is missing one eye...
...or our dog Madison's collar...
...and the blown glass deer and doe missing one leg...
...or the 'stained glass' ornament I made from a kit
when I was about 8 years old with the little bits of plastic
you put in the frame and then bake in the oven...
...St Nick leaves little presents in their shoes by the door...
...playing "I Spy" with ornaments on the tree every night...
...there is a fire in the fireplace every day...
...our little forest of trees with twinkling white lights outside...
...we take nighttime drives around the city
to ooh and aah at the ligthed decorations...
...we listen to the all-Christmas music station
(that has been playing since November 1st, I might add)
and sing along to our favorites...
..."The Twelve Pains of Christmas" is our favorite goofy song...
..."The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole...best.song.ever...
...does anyone else think "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
is the most incredibly asinine song of the century...
...even Bob Geldorf says he regrets writing it...
...and the line "tonight thank God it's them instead of you"
really trips my trigger...
...okay...
...sorry about that...
...back to the list...
...I want to suck on a 
peppermint candy cane all day long...
...Starburst fruit ones not so much...
...I want to drink hot cocoa every day...
...the wrapping paper comes out...
...and only real ribbon for bows...
...candles on the Advent wreath...
...looking inward and slowing down...
...trying to stay away from the
shallowness that bombards us...
...focusing on the true gift of this season...


What about you?
No matter what holiday you celebrate...
there are markers for the season.
What are some of the things that put you in the spirit?
What traditions do you have with your family?
I would love to hear how your family celebrates
Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or Diwali or Winter Solstice or even Festivus ;-).
Do tell!

Enjoy the day! Merry Christmas!

P.S. The Art Bead Scene is holding an Ornament Blog Hop tomorrow! Can't wait to see what everyone creates! I am not an official member but I might try making an ornament tonight...

0 comments:

Post a Comment