Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Gifts of Character::Celebrating Enthusiasm

"Enthusiasm is excitement with inspiration, motivation and a pinch of creativity." ~Bo Bennett 

Two years ago today I embarked upon a wild ride. Two years ago today I decided to start my blog.

And today's virtue card I pulled is Enthusiasm.

And today is the day for me to write about Celebrations for the Art Bead Scene Carnival Bloggers.

So what better way to celebrate than to do so with enthusiasm... and a giveaway!

I had been reading blogs for some time, and discovered a magazine called Artful Blogging by the fine folks at Stampington. I was blown away by what I saw in those pages {someday I hope it might be me in there}. The colors, the feelings, the vivid memories played out in elegant and whimsical prose. The jaw-dropping loveliness of the photographs, images from every day life and every celebration in between. I was hooked and I wanted more. 

I have always been told that I am good writer. That I have the creative gene that others claim they lack. That I am brimming with inspiration and can translate that into excitement for any project. I suppose that may be so. Perhaps that is why you choose to follow me.

But I like to think that it is my enthusiasm that brings you here and keeps you coming back for more.

Enthusiasm is being filled with spirit. It means 'God within.'

The spirit of enthusiasm is evident first in that I am of the "half full" tribe. I want others to cherish the fullness in their own lives and so I can't help but pass that on. Like a virus... but the kind you won't mind getting ;-)

I have come to realize through the past two years that what I really relish is writing. You have helped me see that. Writing and creating and telling a story that only you have to tell. Connecting others to their deeper truths. Coaxing them out of their comfort zone by questioning and nudging and encouraging. All of that is part of my enthusiasm and I hope you catch it! And whatever has you enthused, I hope you will share with me and we can be excited together!

When we live with enthusiasm, we are excited about life and are open to the wonders each day holds. We do things wholeheartedly, with zeal and eagerness, holding nothing back. We allow the excitement of the moment to fill us.

My life is far from perfect. I deal with my own share of heartache and sorrow, depression and defeat. But that doesn't dim my zest for life. I think key to that is really taking the time to appreciate all that is around us. 
{From Polarity on Etsy, one of my favorite haunts}
My spider web was missing today :-(
so I thought that you might like to see a pretty one instead!
I really need to treat myself to one of Cat's pieces!
She also writes one of my favorite blogs Olive Bites.


Looking outside my window on Monday, I noticed something incredible bobbing in the wind. A huge brown spider had concocted a shimmering web so lovely that it took my breath away. It appeared that this arachnid neighbor was suspended in space, but for the delicate strength of that complex weaving pattern tethering her to the top of the building down to my window. Not my favorite creature, but really quite extraordinary. 

It would have been very easy for me to go about my day and not pay that any mind. But to stop and marvel at something so incredible is to let that moment in time fill me up. I give thanks that I could witness that glory today.

We enjoy good humor. We live in the moment and appreciate what we have, finding joy in simple pleasures. We are cheerful and optimistic about what is to come. 

Over the years I have learned to let go of what I thought were the greatest pleasures of life and instead focus on those things that bring me little joys. For little joys piled on high become big joys.

This blog is filled with little joys. Each and every one of you. Every comment that is made (over 3000 since 2008) on every post (243 and counting!) is a little joy and that has grown into a heap of big joy for me. And it is my pleasure to send you a comment back (so please turn on your email so that I can carry on the conversation with you!) and spread a little joy your way. 

Writing this blog has been cathartic to me. I have learned so much and made so many of my most treasured friends in the past two years. At first I was a bit wary of friendships that I was sowing online. But really, there is no greater pleasure than to be welcomed into a community of like-minded people. You, dear ones, are the community that I have to be with every single day. I would often spend my time with you than in the reality that persists around me! Is that so wrong? I have come full circle on this. Remember those pen pals you had when you were young. You dreamed of visiting their country or state and connecting on a face-to-face level? I feel that this blog is my giant penpal community. You are all the ones that I would love to meet. And one day, I am certain that we will, and that makes me optimistic about my future.

Enthusiasm helps us to imagine what is possible. We follow our dreams with true joy.

I am sitting here stunned a bit by these words. Because I am about to walk toward what is possible, what I have imagined. And I am am scared to death. Will my enthusiasm be enough? I realized that I was clenching myself up in knots because of the pressure of succeeding. What I need to do is recognize that which brings me true joy, celebrate it, embrace it, make it mine. Then I will know what it means to succeed. 

The Practice of Enthusiasm

I am excited about my life.
I do things wholeheartedly.
I am inspired by simple things.
I put love and joy into what I do.
I smile, laugh and have a good sense of humor.
I have a positive spirit.

This blog has made my life simply wonder-filled. To celebrate, I would like to have a giveaway. 

For my Working Artist Initiative group I have been developing my own line of jewelry. I had a goal of working with three different materials as prototypes...I am still trying to decide which direction to go.  I will offer one lucky, random commenter the choice of either this prototype necklace in antique copper featuring a resin filled bezel, or the chance to have a similarly styled custom necklace created with a phrase all your own.


{Appreciate What You Have}


To enter to win one of your very own, answer the following:

Each one has a four word positive phrase on it. What motivating mantra would you like to see on a necklace just for you?

Do tell!

I will draw a random winner from all comments on THIS post on Thursday, November 18th.

© Virtues Project International
To order your own set of Virtues Cards, visit Virtues Village LLC.


Enjoy the day! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment