Saturday, October 16, 2010

Someone's Bowl is Always Empty

"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread."
~Charles Dickens


Empty Bowls is a local community event for the local hunger prevention task force. For just $10 you get to select a bowl that was created by a community member... it could have been painted by a boy scout troop... or thrown on a wheel at the local senior center... or coil built by some preschoolers. Then you go through the line and get a simple meal of soup {provided by some of the best restaurants in town}, a small roll, a glass of milk and a cookie. Then you take that special one-of-a-kind bowl home as a reminder that:

Someone's Bowl is Always Empty

There is an auction at this event. I have donated jewelry in the past {I am feeling bad that I didn't this year...}. Some of the artists at Gallery Q in downtown Stevens Point decided to paint some larger bowls for a special auction. I just found out that the bowls are actually up for auction on eBay. You can view my bowl there {and bid on it if you are so inclined} with the bidding going for the next week.


I was inspired by Japanese chiyogami papers that I was working with at the time. I saw them all piled on top of one another and that is what I was attempting to do... make it look like different patterns are peeking out. They wrap just over the edge of the bowl to a white bottom. The colors are quite bright {and truthfully look a bit garish in these pictures} so I hope that it goes to a high bidder.

I would encourage you to find ways to help your hunger prevention efforts in your own community by giving to a local food pantry, or volunteering time to serve a meal at the Salvation Army or Place of Peace, or even bidding on a bowl for a good cause.

So... what do you think?
If you were to go hungry for a day... a week... a month... what would you miss the most?
Is there a hunger gnawing at you right now? Could it be more than just life-giving food?
Are there any hunger initiatives in your area that you could get more involved in?
Tell me what you are thankful for... I would love to know!

Do tell!

Enjoy the day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment