Tonight is my one and only show of the year.
It is called A.R.T.S. Night (A Reason To Shop). All money raised goes to the Women's Fund of Portage County. They like to help women and children especially. I like that about them.
Here is what else I like about this show {and what I don't particularly like}:
- This is the crowd that is my best audience. {I really only do this because I need to have a face with this crowd, I don't end up making that much. Maybe tonight will be different.}
- There is an admission fee, which weeds out those who are bargain shopping for three pairs of earrings for $15 and all necklaces under $40, 'cause that just ain't me. {But the cost is $25 in advance, $30 at the door, which I think is prohibitive. And narrows the universe of potential shoppers. How about $12 in advance or $15 at the door. More shoppers = more sales = more money for the organization. Just sayin'.}
- The hours are short, 5-9pm. {I have to take an entire day off work in order to set up between 1-3pm. Not that I mind the off work part, but it isn't very convenient. On a Tuesday.}
- They have hors d'oeuvres, and a cash bar. {But not for the artists. We get some pizza slices and munchies at 3:30. My observation... people mill around noshing and drinking, not really shopping. I think makes this more of 'A Reason To Eat' than to shop. Just sayin'.}
- I don't have to worry about money. Or credit cards (especially good since I don't have that capability). You write up a slip, then they take it to one central location to pay for all their purchases at one time. {But it takes several weeks to get a check.}
- I have a great booth space right near the entrance. {Since I only do one show a year, I am always trying to think of new ways to set up the limited space. And it takes me forever because I only do one show!}
- My donation is 25% of the sales for the evening. {There is no booth fee, and they are helping the community, so there is really nothing bad about that.}
So tell me...
- If you do shows, do you have any great tips you would like to share?
- I am trying a 'Treasure Chest' of last years' pieces at a discount. Do you try anything like that?
- Do you collect mailing list information? How do you use it? How do you encourage people to sign up?
- What is your best display idea?
- What is the best way to get through a multi-day show (I have never tried that)?
Do tell!
Enjoy the day!






0 comments:
Post a Comment