"Doing the best in this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment."
~Oprah Winfrey
When I create my jewelry I like to say that it is one-of-a-kind made one-at-a-time. So when people see my jewelry, like the set of 9 pieces that I created for the Bead Star contest, they invariably want it. But they can't always have it. {At least not at that moment.}
This past weekend at the Arts Walk, I could have sold Tiny Dancer's "Icy Rings" about a dozen times over. Same for "Lily at Twilight." And even "The Bee Whisperer."
But I had to tell everyone that they were not for sale.
Now that can sometimes send people over the edge.
"But I want it!" cried one woman.
"When can I buy it?" another asks.
The truth is that once I make something I rarely want to make it again. Maybe that is shooting myself in the foot. Or maybe that is marketing genius.
I have created a culture where people want what I create. That is great. But most of what I create is either custom work for one individual or for potential publication. And that leaves people wanting.
I like the fact that they want what I create. That is very flattering. But I also find it hard to let it go. Does anyone else have that problem?
In 2009 I challenged myself to be published once per month. It took a lot of constant work and stumping my ideas to various publications, but I did it. I was proud of that fact. But that left a lot of what I had to show only in the pages of a magazine.
I have sold a lot of those pieces. And the prestige of having a copy of the magazine where the piece is shown creates interest on its own.
But I haven't parted with everything. And my studio is starting to look like an episode of Clean House {or more precisely, Hoarders.}
I wonder if great Master artists had that problem? Did they feel as if they wouldn't want to let their latest work of art out into the world? Did they ever regret letting them go? Or is it simply that they had a desire to make more, they needed more money for supplies and that overrode their desire to hold onto their art?
I am by no means comparing myself to Master artists. But I think that anyone who creates for a living would have the same feelings. And since I know my readers are a creative lot, I am wondering...Do you?
I recently started following Lori Koop's blog. Lori make amazing pottery. What I love most about it is the idea that words have power and they feature prominently in her work.
But what most attracted me to Lori was the fact that if you sign up for her emails she will send you a word of the week. And I am all about words {I am sure that I told you that in another life I was an English teacher. Of 7th graders}.
Lori calls this service UPWoRDS. You can sign up right from her blog {and be entered for a chance to win her pottery!}.
This week's word was FOCUS. {How did she know that is what I am lacking in completely this week. Or this month. Or this year.}
I also appreciate the short but sweet posts {so unlike me!} that she has on her blog about how to be successful at your handmade business. Like asking yourself "would you buy it?" as a way to see if you are on your own unique track, not the boring ~ SAFE ~ track of doing what everyone else is doing.
Just the other day she posted about whether you should KEEP or SELL your best work.
Lori advocates KEEPing it.
She says that by doing so you are making it your best calling card. It should draw attention to all the best that is in you, and be your strongest ambassador. Then when someone's interest is piqued, that is when you hand them your skillfully crafted business card. {Why yes, I would be happy to make something just for you...}
And your best can help you see the worst. It can help you improve and strive to delve deeper into your art, challenging yourself to rise above your best.
But the one point that Lori makes that I like the most is that keeping your best reminds you of why you are an artist and how very good you are. Because there are times when you won't believe it yourself, until you look at your best and know deep in your heart that you are, in fact, a talented artist. Believe it.
And believing that I am doing my best will help me in the next moment that is about to arrive.
Where do you stand on the KEEP vs. SELL argument?
Do you think that it is a good idea to keep some of your best pieces for yourself? Does it make people want your work even more? Or does that just make you unapproachable because you won't let those pieces go?
Have you ever regretted letting one of your best pieces go?
Do you feel that you are doing the best in this moment? If not, what is holding you back?
Do tell!
Check It Out:Move Upword
Enjoy the day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 comments:
Post a Comment