Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Journey - The Beginning

"The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination."
~Don Williams Jr.

It was Thursday night, April 29th. After witnessing the snippets of the dress rehearsal for "The Journey" I just knew that I didn't want to miss a moment. So at 8:15pm I found myself at Best Buy plunking down my credit card to buy a camcorder {I won't bore you with details of how I had to return there on Saturday morning to exchange the whole thing and ring it in again. Suffice it to say that I spent twice what I thought I would to get it to work the way it should}.

I am so glad I did.

The recital for DEC is comprised of Act I and Act II. It is awesome to see what the dancers have learned and the poise and confidence they exhibit on stage, from the tiniest ballerinas to the most accomplished dancers. But the Performance Group is something only seen on Friday and Saturday nights. And this performance was special.

Inspired by the Cirque du Soleil with its incredible costuming, larger-than-life characters, dramatic staging and haunting music, "The Journey" was unlike any dance recital performance I have ever seen. 70 dancers ages 6-18 were the cast. And two seniors were the stars of the show.

This story takes the two on a journey through many different worlds to explore.
The symbolism was not lost on anyone in the audience.

I have to warn you that this was my first attempt to videotape anything in about 6 years. So it is a little rough, but I think you will get the idea. This is the Opening number. You will see me focus on one Tiny Dancer a bit here and there, but mostly I wanted to capture the entire flair of the performance.




Enjoy the day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment