Thursday, January 28, 2010

, ,

Second Hand Delights

Sophie over at Her Library Adventures has invited readers to post pictures of their best flea market finds in a weekly meme.
Well the dilemma for me was what to show. I can't post a picture of my whole house contents!
But as I was leaving a message, the word verification was weding, so that gave me the idea to post some pictures of the dress I wore when I got hitched. I found it in a now closed vintage clothing shop in Chapel St. It was a perfect fit, floaty, and sparkly. It was actually the first dress I tried on. I like making up my mind on the spot, and I liked the fact that it had had another life...maybe at a swanky cocktail party in Hollywood, or at a debutant ball in Beverly Hills. I didn't know it at the time but the designer Miss Elliette of California was the Coco Chanel of American fashion couture. Her dresses have been described as "masterpieces of heirloom chiffon".Would you believe I have never worn it since......luckily the moths have pretty much left it alone except for the label. Maybe I'll pop it on one evening and gatecrash the AFI's!
Note the stack of opshoped suitcases and the slightly wonky dressmakers dummy.
We found her on the side of Punt Rd. and for those of you who know Punt Rd, you can imagine how popular I was stopping in peak hour traffic to grab it. She's been a handy prop for necklaces.

0 comments:

Post a Comment