Saturday, October 3, 2009

I Love a Challenge!

"Keep on going and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down."
~Charles F. Kettering

The word challenge usually conjurs up a negative connotation.

I see a challenge as an opportunity.

I love to seek out a challenge.

I think that it is really good for the soul to try things that are outside your comfort zone, that get you to stretch a little. Things that keep you growing and evolving and keep you moving.

I really enjoy the satisfaction seeking out challenges more because I get bored and find it hard to create in a vacuum. There is a sense of excitement when creating for contest where the participants each use their imagination to interpret the same theme. I entered two such challenges lately. Both involve a vote by a click of a button. Would you care to play along?

The first is the monthy challenge at Vintaj. I use their components all the time. I have yet to find a color palette or a style that cannot be enhanced by using the Vintaj components. And since I enjoy mixing metals as well, I find that this antiqued brass tone really adds another rich layer.

The other day I wrote about the piece I created called "Bright, Wild & Beautiful." That piece is up for a blind vote on the Vintaj blog from today until midnight October 9th. I encourage you to view all 19 entries and read their unique interpretations of the theme "Enchanted Path." The winner gets some product of course, but I think that all of the 19 entries are winners just for submitting. I would love it if you would vote for your favorite. {And if you like mine, vote for #19!}

The second challenge was to use a tri-colored set of stringing wire from Soft Flex as an integral part of a design.

What?!

It is usually out of the ordinary to let your wire showing...that is the foundation of any good design, not the star player! So this challenge was particularly fun. The rules were that you had to use all three colors in your Trio. The Trio that I used is called Sophisticated and features Antique Brass, Onyx and Coral colored wire.



The necklace I created was one that I was inspired to make for the Art Bead Scene June challenge of the famous painting of a study of squares by Kandinsky. The bold colors were perfect for the wire that I picked up from Sara at the Soft Flex booth at Bead & Button. I hit the jackpot when I found the ceramic components from Jangles.

My piece is called "The Key To Kandinsky (is Color)."

There are 38 entries for this contest and there is such a great variety of styles. I feel blessed to be included in such a talented pool of artists. Grand prize is $500...that would be sweet!

Again, I would be honored if you would check out the contest here. I would encourage you to vote for your favorite, but I would be most honored if you find mine to be your favorite.

Challenges for me are something to seek out, to look forward to. When I shift the meaning of a challenge in my mind from negative to positive I find that there can be great results!

What sorts of challenges do you seek out for yourself?
What successes have you had in the challenges you have participated in?
What have you learned from any challenges that didn't go your way?
Do tell!

Enjoy the day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment