"One shade the more, one ray the less,
Lord Byron wrote this poem in homage to the wife of his deceased cousin, a Mrs. Anne Wilmot. He met her at a party and was enthralled with her great beauty. This is less of a love poem about trying to woo but rather more about ideal of her beauty. And she must have been one heck of a beauty!
"And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!"
I like to have some sort of inspiration when I make a piece of jewelry. I find it incredibly hard to just create in a vacuum for an unnamed wearer, which is likely why most everything I sell is a custom creation for a client. I would like to be able to create and sell more things to the general public, but I find it difficult to do. The things that I make that are the most successful are the ones that have a story to them and allow the wearer to be transported to another realm.
One other such iconic beauty was my grandmother, Agnes. I have a photograph of her that my Aunt Dorothy gave to me that is really one that I treasure. Of course, she was only about 15 in this photo so it is not at all as I remember her, but I love to see the girl that she was.

I also like to participate in challenges from time to time as a way to keep my work fresh and current. Vintaj is a company that I love to work with as their pieces are of such good quality and the effect is sublime. They have a monthly challenge on their blog and July was "Fond Memories." My grandmother is the subject of this fond memory. Although it is not a memory that I have, I love to invent the story behind this evocative 15-year old beauty sitting in a garden on the family farm. What was she doing there? Who was the photographer? What is she thinking?
So I combined my inspirations for this challenge....my grandmother's photograph, the rich beauty of the Vintaj brass and the poem by Lord Byron. I think that the effect is nothing short of magical.
I am proud to say that my piece "She Walks in Beauty" took second place.
If you would like to know more about my process in creating this piece, I invite you to read the post at the Watch Me Create blog for today.







0 comments:
Post a Comment