“Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it's not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won't. It's whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.”
~ Barack Obama
Today I am turning two (and I promise not to have a tantrum). And I am choosing to persevere in making my mark on the world.
In the Spring of 2007 I told my husband that I was considering making myself a company just to see if I could do it. I reasoned that I was not going to stop playing with beads, and if I made it official maybe I could even sell a few things. So on June 11, 2007 I made it official and registered my company with the state of Wisconsin.
It is a decision that I do not regret because so many good things have come from it.
- I have done jewelry for large wedding parties. And for the tiniest of babies.
- I have had my first pieces published in a magazine. And I continue my quest to be published once per month in 2009.
- I joined the BNI Point to Success chapter and started growing relationships with some of the best people in business. And I learn every day new ways to grow a successful business.
- I have taught jewelry making classes. And I have taken some amazing workshops with renowned artists.
- I have exhibited at my first art show. And in a holiday gallery at a local art center.
- I have been asked to display my work in a local goldsmith’s gallery. And I have been invited to join an artist’s cooperative with permanent gallery space.
- I have been selected as a finalist in a national competition. And I continue to stretch my limits by entering other challenges.
I am very blessed.
Today marks the anniversary of the day that I said yes. The day that I decided that I wanted to spread my wings and see how far they would carry me. The day that I fully committed to my two life resolutions: living a creative life and living without regrets.
It has not always been easy. And I am learning so much every single day about how to be successful in business and doing whatever I can to grow my brand and develop a following. I have made mistakes, true, but no one said it would be easy. The potential is so very exciting and the lure of doing what I love to do with the capacity for making this something that is permanent and possibly lucrative at the same time is rather enticing.
I recognize that I could fail at this endeavor. However, I do not believe that failure is an option. I have resolved that no matter what happens, I will enjoy the ride.
This week also marks milestones for some of my dear friends. They have both inspired me in so many ways and I cannot imagine how dull my life was without their love and laughter and insight and friendship blessing me daily.
"Without art we are but monkeys with car keys." ~ Author Unknown
Art Village, where I first learned to paint, and throw pots, and taught my first classes is celebrating four years. I am so proud of what my friend Rainy is building and I will do anything to help her be a success. Rainy is the first person who told me I was an artist. It took me a long time to let go and trust her wisdom. She is a wise friend indeed.
"There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate and chocolate truffles" ~ A. Nonymous
My friend Rick is celebrating his second anniversary as well with his little shop Sugar Cubed. He is one of the top 10 sellers of Moonstruck chocolates. In the nation. I don’t know how he does it, but his will to succeed is infectious. Who knew that I would be so inspired to have him as a friend and mentor when I walked into his store on a whim two years ago?
This weekend Rick is giving away free chocolates at his store Sugar Cubed and Art Village is celebrating with cake and free art projects. And both of them are raffling off original jewelry designs that I created just for their events with the proceeds to benefit a charity of their choice. That makes me feel good and inspires me to do more to give back to my community.
Since both art and chocolate are favorites of mine, I would like celebrate my 2nd anniversary with a special June giveaway: a box of Moonstruck Truffles and a special resin pendant custom made for the winner. Chocolate and a wearable work of art…can it get any better?
To enter:
1::Post a comment here answering the following question:

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
2::You can enter only once. But if we can get 50 or more unique commenters to post I will giveaway TWO complete prize packages to celebrate my TWO years in business! Invite your friends to come and play! (Hurry! Voting ends Thusday, June 18th!)
3::Be sure to give me your name and email address (so that I might contact you if you win). If you win I will contact you by email (to arrange shipping) and ask you some questions so that I might create a pendant that is solely meant to inspire unique and lovely you.
Check It Out::Cake Wrecks (What goes better with celebrations than cake? Especially hilarious ones...I go here when I need to laugh...don't say I didn't warn you!)
Enjoy the day!
P.S. Silver Parrot is having a really cool giveaway! Loads and loads of beads that she is destashing! She even suggests that you might take what you like and host another such giveaway by adding what you have....this is great upcycling and reusing! Check it out!






0 comments:
Post a Comment